In a study of 25,000 executives and employees it was found that:
• A mere 30% of US employees are engaged, committed to doing a good job
• 50% of employees merely put their time in
• And 20% are counterproductive, negatively influencing coworkers, missing days at work and driving customers away through poor service
The 20% of counterproductive employees alone cost the USA economy about half a trillion a year.
The insight for Blue Ocean Leadership, created by W. Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne, is that leadership, in essence, can be thought of as a service that people in an organization either ‘buy’ or ‘don’t buy’.
• Kim and Mauborgne observe that every leader has customers: bosses to whom the leader must deliver performance and followers who need the leader’s guidance and support to achieve.
• When people value your leadership practices, they in effect buy your leadership and are inspired to excel and act with commitment. But when employees don’t buy your leadership, they disengage, becoming noncustomers of your leadership.
• Once we started thinking about leadership in this way, we saw that the concepts and frameworks we were developing to create new demand in the field of strategy
could be adapted to help leaders convert disengaged employees into engaged ones. “(excerpts from www.blueoceanstrategy.com
In the 4 hour workshop we explore the new perspective for leadership, what it makes available to you and your company and the process to create a Blue Ocean Leadership.